Durban Green Corridors, in partnership with the eThekwini Municipality, is undertaking a unique three-week scuba diving expedition in July 2017 to profile the KZN east coast’s exceptional ocean experiences.
Perhaps the harbour city’s best-kept secret is that it is the launch site for some of the best scuba diving adventures in the world – with some of its reefs voted in the world’s Top Ten dive sites.
From Durban’s sensational King Shaka International Airport, it’s just a scenic two-hour drive south to the starting point of a marine adventure of a lifetime.
From Shelly Beach in the south to Sodwana in the north, the tour will take visitors to some of the best dive spots on the planet, offering pristine reefs, shipwrecks, a variety of sharks and rays, an abundance of reef fish and shoals of hunting fish. Dolphins and whales are also frequently spotted and the KZN coast also hosts the annual Sardine Run, known as The Greatest Shoal on Earth.
The expedition group will comprise of two local diving enthusiasts, along with two international volunteers (divers, bloggers and social influencers in their home countries) who will visit, dive, explore, document and photograph a rich variety of scuba-related and other tourism attractions.
The key outputs of this expedition are:
- Development of a range of potential packages that can be offered to the international diving community in partnership with local and international operators.
- Collating rich content database for development of a “Dive Durban” website and social media campaigns including images, video and text.
- Development of promotional content for future campaigns.
- Growing opportunities to link diving tourism with other tourism activities around key dive locations.
- Creating awareness and launching an initial campaign to highlight the exceptional ocean- based tourism opportunities along the KwaZulu-Natal coastline.