GO! Durban Cycle Academy
A leading example of collective partnerships, the GO! Durban Cycle Academy is part of our Sports and Active Mobility programme and is funded by the GO! Durban public transport programme - eThekweni Transport Authority (ETA).
Promoting a culture of running and cycling in local communities where youth are inspired by their growing sporting and academic abilities is a strategic Green Corridors goal. ETA's plans to incorporate non-motorised transport within the city’s public transport network aims to improve the physical wellbeing and health of community members near their corridors across the City, while encouraging an alternative means of transport.
“Through the Go! Durban Cycle Academy, the eThekweni Transport Authority is committed to those who share our vision and passion to change lives through cycling. Alignment with Green Corridors sees this vision brought to life as this purpose-driven organisation provides the identification, activation and management of the spaces and the routes. Linking tourism with eco-development and back to communities is a key cornerstone of this work and a critical feature of this strategic alignment”, explains eThekweni Transport Authority Thami Manyathi.
In 2016, these parallel goals were realised with the launch of the 1st GO! Durban Cycle Academy site in eNanda Adventure Park. In the 3 years since this launch notable achievements have included:
- Academy sites at the eNanda Adventure and Bike Park, KwaMashu and KwaDabeka.
- 300 children on bicycles every weekend across the academy sites
- 120 children enrolled in the weekly academic support programme - a critical part of the overall programme.
- KwaDabeka Bike Park becoming home to the first world-class Velosolutions pump track and proudly hosting the South African qualifier event for the inaugural Red Bull Pump Track World Championships in April 2018.
- An amateur team that competes on the South Africa MTB circuit
- The launch of the first black female MTB team in the country
- A 50% ratio of female podium finishes at all local races.