DURBAN GREEN CORRIDORS IS SEEKING EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FROM EMERGING SMME’S TO MANAGE FACILITIES AND HOSPITALITY RELATED ACTIVITY ON OUR SITE AT ISITHUMBA ADVENTURES IN THE VALLEY OF A THOUSAND HILLS.
Durban Green Corridors wishes to outsource the management of its facilities, accommodation and venue hire operations at the iSithumba Adventure Centre. Accordingly, suitable emerging tourism and hospitality related SMME’s are sought. The intention is for Durban Green Corridors to build local capacity for tourism management at our site and to develop the skills and people required to ensure the long-term sustainability of our tourism operations at iSithumba.
iSithumba Adventure includes:
- Approximately 2.3 ha of grounds
- 8 x two bed rondawels, equipped with beds and linen.
- A central boma / events / kitchen and entertainment area.
- Office facilities.
- Campsite area.
- Solar powered electricity and gas powered hot water.
- An active youth program operational on the site
- A range of trails and cultural tours which operate from the centre
- A key location on the iSithumba Tourism Route which is an initiative for marketing, developing and growing tourism in the broader area
Current activity at the centre is focused on day visitors engaging in outdoor adventure sports (4x4 trails, Mountain biking, hiking) and cultural tours of the village and nearby attractions. The accommodation, catering, events and broad hospitality functions at iSithumba Adventure Centre have significant untapped potential but require experienced management, particularly around the areas of the physical environment, catering, accommodation, hospitality and events. This opportunity is ideally suited to emerging tourism and hospitality entrepreneurs with aspirations to upscale their businesses.
Durban Green Corridors is seeking to engage with an SMME to manage the facilities, centre operations, hospitality and accommodation. Durban Green Corridors will provide close support and mentorship to the successful SMME in terms of a phased plan and a formal agreement including:
- Business and marketing support.
- Administrative support.
- Access to the centre, facilities and equipment.
- Marketing and logistical support.
- Access to existing clientele, events and functions booked for the centre.
- Financial support (for an agreed limited period) to cover core overhead and staff costs.
Successful applicants will be required to oversee all aspects of managing the iSithumba Adventure Centre, specifically:
- Superior maintenance of the facilities.
- Management of accommodation reservations in conjunction with the Durban Green Corridor reservations office.
- Implementation and management of a range of events and functions in collaboration with Durban Green Corridors.
- Provision of on-site catering needs.
- Management of housekeeping, accommodation standards and aesthetics of the centre including gardens and general maintenance.
- Liaison with third party service providers where required for additional on-site services (ie: hiring of equipment for events and functions.)
- Provision of an exceptional hospitality experience for guests.
- Liaison with the local community.
- Working in close partnership with tourism activity providers in the area
- Develop, in time, and possibly via additional partnerships, other constructive uses for the site, notably in the sphere of youth development, including youth adventure camps and youth leadership development programs on site.
Successful applicants should be able to demonstrate:
- A history and track record of business in the tourism and hospitality industry.
- Practical knowledge of running a small business, including reporting, budgeting and human resource management.
- A history of exceptional customer service.
- The ability to positively engage with the local community, the local tourism industry and broader industry stakeholders.
- Preference will be given to SMME’s residing in or operating in the iSithumba community area.
Expressions of interest should be submitted in writing via email to marketing@durbangreencorridor no later than 12H00 Friday the 22nd September and should include:
- A brief proposal outlining experience in tourism and hospitality as well as the ability to manage the centre operations or tourism activities described.
- An outline of a vision for the future of iSithumba Adventure Centre and what your specific needs (financial and otherwise) would be related to management of the centre.
- A personal, and company, CV with a detailed history and evidence of previous tourism and hospitality business ventures.
- Proof of business registration.
A SITE MEETING FOR INTERESTED SMME’S WILL BE HELD AT ISITHUMBA ADVENTURES AT 10H00 ON THE 12th September 2017
Durban Green Corridors will entertain the submission of an expression of interest from a newly-established joint venture co-operative or company if the parties involved can offer the conditions set out above.
Durban Green Corridors reserves the right not to make an appointment in this regard.