Fixed Term Contract: Administrative and co-ordination support services for Green Bremen West to KwaMashu Project and other Green Spaces projects
Terms of Reference: Administrative and co-ordination support services for Green Bremen West to KwaMashu Project and other Green Spaces projects
BACKGROUND & CONTEXT
The Green Bremen West to KwaMashu project is a joint initiative between the City of Bremen, Germany and eThekwini Municipality that is implemented and driven by eThekwini’s Economic Development Unit. The project is funded by grant funding from the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and facilitated by their implementing agencies, Engagement Global and its Service Agency (SKEW). The project aims to implement measures in eThekwini for the development and management of urban green infrastructure to support climate change adaptation and environmental, social and economic sustainability and development.
A fundamental aspect of the approach to the Green Bremen West to KwaMashu Project involves learning exchanges between Bremen and eThekwini and centres around three sub-projects to:
- Upgrade a 7-hectare urban food garden in the Piesang River floodplain in Kwamashu, and use the lessons learned from upgrading this garden to support the improvement of other township based urban agriculture sites;
- Develop a coordinated environmental education initiative among multiple departments and agencies to improve the collective behaviour change impact among citizens of eThekwini;
- Develop Geographic Information System (GIS) tools to improve the management of open spaces.
In eThekwini the project is led by the Economic Development Unit (EDU) and supported by an implementation agency, Green Corridors NPC and eThekwini’s Agro Ecology Unit. Together project managers representing the above organizations make up the core project management team (PMT). This PMT is led by EDU and is responsible for implementation and delivery of all components of the project described above.
The beneficiaries of the project include the gardeners of the food garden, the surrounding community in KwaMashu, and for the knowledge exchange elements, eThekwini Municipality and its relevant sector departments.
The EDU further supports and partners with Green Corridor through the implementation of the Green spaces programme. The Green Spaces programme has teams that work across a range of green open spaces activities, benefitting communities and the natural assets, mainly in Durban’s uMngeni, uMhlangane and Ohlanga catchments. Green open spaces management activities include the KwaMashu stream cleaning team, clearing alien invasive plants and solid waste, park activation, and at the higher-level producing framework catchment open spaces management plans. Solid waste management includes clean ups, the operation of litter booms by the litter boom team, materials recovery facilities in informal settlements, upgrading for informal recyclers, collections networks with waste pickers, providing plastic and glass for beneficiation at Green Corridors’’ KwaMashu Materials Beneficiation Centre. Environmental education and mobilization programmes are run in communities and schools in KwaMashu, for which a Zero Waste Guide has been developed.
The objective of the assignment is to provide administrative support to the project management team (PMT) of the Green Bremen West to KwaMashu Project for the duration of the project. The project support will further extend to Green spaces projects, falling under the Green spaces programme.
This support will include the following elements that are further detailed under the scope of work:
- Event and travel management and related activities
- Meeting co-ordination and scheduling
- Documentation and information storage
- Budgeting and financial control
- Procurement related activities
SCOPE OF WORK
The scope of work will include the following duties the incumbent will be expected to complete under direction from the PMT:
Event management and travel support
- Booking of meeting venues, catering, equipment etc.
- Booking of flights, transfers, accommodation etc.
- Liaison with eThekwini travel office
Meeting co-ordination and scheduling
- Co-ordination and scheduling of virtual and physical PMT meetings
- Co-ordination scheduling and meeting related communications for all stakeholder consultations and other such project engagements
- Support at stakeholder events where necessary.
Documentation and information storage:
- Developing contacts and stakeholder information databases
- Filing storage maintenance of project related documents including meeting notes, reports, presentations, procurement related documents; funding applications; travel related documents; invoices etc.
Budget, financial control and procurement support
- Collecting invoices, receipts, expense claims etc. where required for PMT, service providers.
- Support to PMT on procurement related matters and liaison for procurement in eThekwini and Durban Green Corridors.
- Support to PMT and eThekwini on financial measures and collection of accounting related documents
- Support to drafting applications for funding drawdowns from project partners in Germany
Relevant tertiary qualification and experience in project/business administration, information management, accounting etc. is required.
- 2 years of experience working on project administration including database management, and financial control
- Related tertiary qualification, diploma etc. on project or business administration
- Drivers license will be an advantage
The assignment period is anticipated to be for an 18 month period that will start from when the contract is signed and ends in February 2022.
As per budget available.
Electronic submission of cv with motivation and copies of highest qualification and ID to:
- Closing date: 11 September 2020 @12h00
Should you not hear from us within 14 days of the closing date for applications, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Green Corridors NPC subscribes to the Code of Good Practice on the Implementation of Employment Equity Act